DOT TIPS FOR BEST TEST RESULTS
For having your blood pressure taken:
- Don't drink coffee or smoke cigarettes 30 minutes before having your blood pressure measured.
- Before the test, sit for five minutes with your back supported and your feet flat on the ground. Rest your arm on a table at the level of your heart.
- Wear short sleeves so your arm is exposed.
- Go to the bathroom prior to the reading. A full bladder can change your blood pressure reading.
- Get two readings, taken at least two minutes apart, and average the results.
- Ask the doctor to tell you the blood pressure reading in numbers.
How to prepare for your DOT physical
- Eyeglasses? Contact lenses? Hearing aid? Whichever you use, bring it with you.
- Bring a list of your current medications as well as the name and contact number of the doctor who prescribed them.
- Complete the Driver Information and Health History sections of the Medical Examination Report form. Don't forget to sign and date the form.
- Supply Dr. Tereo with medical records for conditions such as diabetes, cardiac disease, sleep disorders, neurological conditions, etc. If you take medications for pain, psychiatric conditions, attention deficit disorder, or smoking cessation for example, bring a letter from your treating doctor.